Eureka Excelsior (Rydeen Farms) began as 160 acres in 1897. Edward D. Rydeen from Winthrop, MN homesteaded the land at the age of 21 when President Cleveland signed the Minnesota Homestead Act. He worked on his homestead and organized the first school board (District 20) in 1898 and served as clerk for 47 years. In 1901, Edward enlisted in the U.S. Army and served in the Spanish American war. He was discharged in 1904, came home to farm and taught school from 1905-1910.
In September, 1911 Edward married Louella Schneider of Gonvick. They had eight children: Dorothy, Edna, Martha, Edmund, Ernest, Florence, Reuben and Lucille. Edward was an active member of many state, district, and community affairs. He helped establish the Clearbrook Creamery and was also one of the original promoters and organizers of Land O Lakes, Inc. of which he was a life-long member.
Reuben was discharged from the Navy in 1946. He went into partnership with his father and married Wanda Forsberg in 1950. They had four children: Debbie, Sherry, Paul and Carl. In 1954, Reuben and Wanda bought the homestead. The house was remodeled at that time and the barn was expanded to house 40 dairy cows. As years passed, the Herman Rydeen and Anton Erickson farms were purchased to increase their acreage.
In 1985, Paul married Lois Sundbom and bought the family farm. They have two children: Claire and Justis. In addition to beef cattle, the farm now includes corn, soybeans, wheat and forage for the livestock, which is produced over 2500 acres of owned/rented land. The farm hosts an annual production sale, known as the “Vision Sale”, which is in its 19th year. The sale is held on the second Sunday in February, and markets yearling bulls, 18-month-old bulls and bred heifers. Rydeen Farms is committed to the needs of commercial cattle men and women and seeks to provide bulls and females that help their customers succeed as they work to improve their product for the beef industry.